Irish Leaving Certificate Applicants
Carlow College, St. Patrick’s welcomes all Irish Leaving Certificate Applications who wish to be considered for entry to any of the College’s Degree programmes. Leaving Certificate Applicants apply on the basis of Leaving Certificate results. All Applicants must apply through the CAO. The application form is available through the CAO and the applicant must tick the Leaving Certificate Applicant box on the application form.
In 2017, a new Higher Education Common Points Scale came into effect. The new scale will apply to all Applicants applying to CAO on the basis of their Leaving Certificate examination results (1988 – present).
For students who sat their leaving certificate in November 2020, we have compiled a list of FAQs around the CAO process that be beneficial to you, simply click here.
- The easiest way to apply to CAO is to use the online facility. Go to www.cao.ie and click ‘Apply’. Applicants can also request a paper application by contacting the CAO directly.
- It is extremely important that all Leaving Certificate Applicants have registered with CAO before 1st February at 17:15.
- After the 1st February deadline, the Late Applications facility opens on 5th March. Applicants can make a late application, for a higher fee, until 1st May at 17:15.
- Applicants will be asked to tick the ‘Qualifications and Assessments’ section that is relevant to them. Leaving Certificate Applicants must tick the Leaving Certificate Applicants box.
- Applicants must complete the online CAO application, including sections 1 – 11 of the Leaving Certificate Applicant Section, Applicants must post any supporting documentation, within seven days to: CAO, Tower House, Eglinton Street, Galway.
- Applicants who obtain the required points for entry onto the programme and satisfy the entry requirements, may receive an offer in early August (Round 1).
Please see the table below for the points requirements for Carlow College, St. Patrick’s courses in 2019:
|Course Title||Course Code||Points Round One 2019|
|B.A. in Arts & Humanities||PC402||200|
|B.A in Applied Social Studies (Professional Social Care)||PC404||217|
|B.A (Honours) in Arts & Humanities||PC410||252|
|B.A (Honours) in English & History||PC411||255|
|B.A (Honours) in Social, Political & Community Studies||PC405||253|
- Level 7: (PC402/PC404)-Applicants must obtain a minimum of 5 passes at any ordinary level.
- Level 8: (PC410/PC411/PC405)-Applicants must obtain a minimum of at least two H5’s / higher C3’s and four passes at ordinary level.
- Mathematics is NOT an entry requirement for any course at Carlow College.
- Irish, English OR a foreign language satisfies the language requirement for all courses at Carlow College.
- The Leaving Certificate Applied (LCA) does not meet the minimum entry requirements for programmes at Carlow College. Holders of the LCA may gain entry through FETAC level 5&6 awards.
Carlow College, St. Patrick’s awards points for results in Leaving Certificate Vocational Programme Link Modules (LCVP) in place of a Leaving Certificate subject as follows: