Fr Seán is a priest of the diocese of Kildare and Leighlin. He has worked in many parishes in Ireland and in Rome and Paris. After studies in Maynooth, he took a maîtrise in French literature in the Institut Catholique de Paris and in the Universitè de Paris IV-La Sorbonne. He then took the Baccalaureate in Sacred Theology from the Pontifical Gregorian University, Rome. Subsequently, he read for the licentiate in the Pontifical Biblical Institute, Rome. He studied in Durham under Professor Walter Moberly and he has been a visiting academic in Campion Hall, University of Oxford.
- “Scripture and Contemporary Catholic Theology: Surveying the Field,” The Pastoral Review 8/6 (2012): 26-31.
- “How can we sing a Song of Sion in a Strange Land? Prison visits ministry in France,” Intercom 42/9 (2012): 14-15.
- “Secularization and Responses from the Magisterium of the Church,” Provincial Bulletin of the Irish Capuchins 9/1 (2009): 5-12.
- “The Answer of Job to God,” Proceedings of the Irish Biblical Association 28 (2005): 48-65.
- Joseph Doré, À cause de Jésus—Pourquoi je suis demeuré chrétien et reste catholique.
- The Furrow 64 (2013): 122.
- Raymond E. Brown, Christ in the Gospels of the Liturgical Year. The Furrow 62 (2011): 518.
- John Redford, Who was John? The Fourth Gospel Debate after Benedict XVI’s Jesus of Nazareth.
- The Furrow 61 (2010): 522.
- Daniel Harrington, What are we waiting for? The Furrow 60 (2009): 122.
- Stephen Finlan, The Apostle Paul and the Pauline Tradition. The Furrow 60 (2009): 574.
- Bruce Chilton, Rabbi Paul: An Intellectual Biography. Irish Theological Quarterly 72 (2007): 217-218.
- Patrick J. Hartin, James of Jerusalem: Heir to Jesus of Nazareth. Irish Theological Quarterly 72 (2007): 111-112.
- “Commentary and Reflections for 13th, 14th and 15th Sundays (Year B),” Scripture in Church 36/143 (2006): 29-37.
- “Homily Notes for 3, 10 15 August 2008,” Intercom 38/6 (2008): 43, 45, 47.
- “A Thought for a Homily,” Intercom 36/3 (2007): 41, 43, 45, 47, 49.
- Entrusted with the Word: A Training Programme for Readers (co-written with Julie Kavanagh).
- Carlow, Kildare and Leighlin Faith Development Services: 2006 (Private circulation only).
- Advent Scripture Sharing Booklets
- Lenten Scripture Sharing Booklets
- (Editor). Carlow, Kildare and Leighlin Faith Development Services: September 2005-December 2010.
- Timeline of the Catholic Interpretation of Scripture (adapted by Sr. Dr. P. McDonald).
- Rome, Beda College: 2012 (Private circulation only).
- Series of Presentations on Prophets at the Orlagh Bible Week. Orlagh Retreat Centre: June 2012.
- “Scripture and Contemporary Catholic Theology: Surveying the Field,” presented at the Study Day on the Use of Scripture in Catholic Prayer, Practice and Theology, hosted by the Centre for Catholic Studies (Durham University). St John’s College, Durham University: 10 March 2012. (This subsequently appeared as an article in The Pastoral Review, op.cit.).
- Workshop on the Lucan Canticles, Gospel of Luke Study Day, co-hosted by the Archdiocese of Dublin and the Pontifical University. St Patrick’s College, Maynooth: May 2010.
- Response to Bishop N.T Wright’s “Paul: Faith and Hope for Tomorrow’s World.”
- Pauline Year Lecture, Carlow Cathedral: 10 November 2008. (Full text available at http://www.kandle.ie/nt-wright-carlow-talk/)
1989-92: B.A. (First Class Honours: French and Latin), St Patrick’s College, Maynooth. Recipient of the French Government prize (Prix des Lombards)at Graduation.
1993-96: S.T.B. (Magna cum Laude)Pontificia Università Gregoriana, Rome
1992-93: M. ès Arts (Lettres Françaises: Mention Très Bien) Institut Catholique de Paris, France
1992-93: M. ès Lettres (Lettres Modernes: Mention Assez Bien) Université de Paris IV (Sorbonne)
2001-5: Licentiate in Sacred Scripture (Magna cum Laude) Pontificio Istituto Biblico, Rome
2009-present University of Durham