Dr Ida Milne’s book, Stacking the Coffins, has been named one of Choice Reviews’ Outstanding Academic Titles of 2019. Choice Reviews, a division of the American Library Association, reviews 6,000 academic works each year to help academic librarians make purchasing decisions, and about ten per cent of these make the annual OAT list, published in December. Ida’s book was one the titles given this prestigious award this year.
Choice editors base their selections on the reviewer’s evaluation of the work, the editor’s knowledge of the field, and the reviewer’s record.
In awarding Outstanding Academic Titles, the editors apply several criteria to reviewed titles:
- Overall excellence in presentation and scholarship
- Importance relative to other literature in the field
- Distinction as a first treatment of a given subject in book or electronic form
- Originality or uniqueness of treatment
- Value to undergraduate students
- Importance in building undergraduate library collections