Student Contribution Fee/Registration Fee

All students registering for full time courses at Carlow College are required to pay the Student Contribution Fee. This fee is currently €3000.

If you have applied for a grant (SUSI) to cover the Student Contribution Fee you must send the Grant Approval letter or a copy of it to the Admissions Office. If you are still awaiting grant approval at the time of registration, you may register as a student of the College, however, you will sign a contract at registration outlining that, if your grant is not approved, you are liable for the full registration fee and you will be invoiced by the College. All authorities are invoiced on receipt of a grant approval letter from the student. When payment is received from the authority, the Accounts Office will electronically reimburse the exact figure that was paid by the student. 

Tuition Fees/Free Fees Initiative

All full time undergraduate courses at Carlow College are covered under the Department of Education Free Fees Initiative. In order to qualify for free fees you must have been living in an EEA member state or Switzerland for at least three of the five years before starting a course. The members of the EEA (European Economic Area) are the 27 members of the EU, along with Iceland, Norway and Liechtenstein. (Ireland is included).

You must also fulfil one of the following 6 criteria as regards citizenship and rights of residence in Ireland:
  • Be a citizen of an EEA member state (see above) or Switzerland
  • Have official refugee status in Ireland
  • Be a family member of a refugee and have been granted permission to live in the State
  • Be a family member of an EU national and have permission to live in the State, with a stamp’ 4EUFAM’ on your residence card
  • Have been granted Humanitarian leave to remain in the State
  • Have been granted permission to remain in the State by the Minister for Justice, Equality, following a determination by the Minister not to make a deportation order under Section 3 of the Immigration Act 1999.

You must also fulfill all of the following three course requirements:

  • You must be undertaking a full-time undergraduate course of at least two years duration (or certain shorter courses in Institutes of Technology).
  • You must be a first-time full-time undergraduate or five years must have lapsed since you were last in college and you must not have completed a previous degree.
  • In general, you must not be repeating the year because of failing your exams or changing course. This may be waived if you repeat a year due to serious certified illness. There are also some exceptions for students in Institutes of Technologies who are switching course.

For students, who are not covered under the Free Fees Initiative, the Carlow College Tuition Fees (per year) are as follows:

B.A. & B.A. (Honours) in Humanities: €4392.00
B.A. (Honours) in English & History: €4392.00
B.A. & B.A. (Honours) in Applied Social Studies in Social Care: €4642.00
B.A. (Honours) in Citizenship & Community Studies: €4642.00

Tuition Fees may be paid in installments, however, they must be paid in full before the end of each academic term. Please note that the registration fee is not included in this fee and must be paid also.

Withdrawing/Deferring a Place (FEES)

If a student withdraws or defers they must notify the Admissions Office and Grants Office immediately. They must also notify any grant awarding body if they hold a grant for that academic year. It is essential that you do not draw down any grant cheque of you have withdrawn or deferred, as if you proceed to another course, your Higher Education Grant will not be awarded twice.

Where an application by a registered student to withdraw from a Programme is approved by the Registrar/Admissions Office, the Accounts Office will reimburse the appropriate registration fee to the learner subject to the following scale:

Official Date of Withdrawal  Amount of Registration Fee Forfeited 
 Before 31st of October  €250 (basic administrative charge)
 1st November-31st of December  €500
 Up to January 31st  €1000
 After January 31st  Full registration Fee

If a student defers, and they have received a grant, they must notify the awarding body immediately (see above). If the student has paid the registration fee the student may opt to either: Be reimbursed fully and pay the registration fee in full when they return the following year or Leave the money on hold in their Carlow College account and use it to cover the registration fee the following year. If there is any increase in the registration fee from the year of deferral to the year of resuming study the student will be liable however.


Student Universal Support Ireland (SUSI) is the single awarding authority for grant applications (

Student grants provide financial support to eligible students. There are two elements to the student grant-a maintenance grant and a fees grant. A maintenance grant is a contribution towards your living costs etc. 

A fee grant can cover:

  • All or part of the Tuition Fee (if needed)
  • All or part of the Student Contribution Fee
  • Costs of essential field trips (if needed)

If you have qualified for a maintenance grant, you will generally qualify for a fees grant. You must complete a Student Grant Application Form to assess your eligibility. Student grants are ‘means tested’. There are different levels of Higher Education Grant (HEG) support. Applicants must be entering an approved full-time course in an approved institution in addition to meeting the necessary residency and nationality or immigration status requirements. The student grant application system is an online application system.

Back to Education Allowance (BTEA) is a scheme for unemployed people, lone parents and people with disabilities who are getting certain payments from the Department of Social Protection. The allowance can be paid to people who wish to take up a third level course.
BTEA is not unemployment payment. Participants get a standard rate of payment which is not means tested. If you are signing for unemployment credits or submitting medical certificates for illness credits, you may apply to take part in the scheme. However, the BTEA is not payable if the student is in receipt of either the Higher Education Grant (SUSI/Local Authority) or VEC scheme. 


Please note that the above information is always subject to change. For further information please visit:

Grants Officier

Orla McHugh
Grants Officier
Phone: (059) 9153280
Office Hours: Wednesday, Thursday & Friday 9.00 AM to 5.00 PM